Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hanoi - take one

Another day and another early flight. Arrived, in Hanoi and then, at the recommendation of the irish girls from Hoi An, made my way to the Hoi An Backpackers. After settling in, I did a bit of tour of the surrounds and adjust to the new environment. Hanoi again has a very different vibe to Saigon/HCMC, particularly in the old quarter. The streets are smaller, and the architecture has a much more european feel. The food also varies in that they seem to have a preference for deep frying thier food.

One big advantage or perhaps disadvantage of staying at an Aussie run backpackers in Vietnam, is that the place was set up for getting people to meet and drink together. And that I did, probably a little too much. I am a big rap for Mao's red bar - very melbourne like small bar.

In between the drinking, I did manage to sneak in some culture, visiting the Museum of Ethnology - which provides an overview of the 54 different ethnic groups in Vietnam. Don't quite understand some aspects of some trips, such as placing a bunch of phallic statues around a tomb. I walked past the opera house and museum of vietnamese history.

pictures to follow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

54 ethnic groups eh?!?! I can't understand why your readership has suffered..... seriously, I think it was the lag between leaving and first meaningful posts... and I know a bit about these things... enjoy monkey man!!